Friday, December 17, 2010

A little bit about base miles...


Danica and I spent a good three hours together this morning out in the back roads of the Rio Grande Valley.  It's off season for racing and we got to put in some good base miles before the real training begins next month.  Long slow rides are just something that you have to do if you want to get good in this sport.  This is the time to put lots of miles and build your endurance so you can go the whole way during a race without running out of energy.  The bad part is that the only way to build the endurance is get out there and do the long hours.  This is a great thing for me also because my heart rate stays in the high calorie burning zone the whole way. I have been doing more than 250 miles a week so it is helping a lot.  Tomorrow I will do my third century of the year, I have done many 70-80 mile rides but I just seem to never get the 100 done as often.  One reason being that it takes forever, and I hate doing those super long rides on my own.  I was checking my Garmin and it looks like with tomorrows ride I should be at 315 miles for this week.  That is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment