Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Do not get dropped - Train, train, train...


When I first started cycling with groups one of my most uncomfortable fears was getting dropped. Every single time I went out there I would be left alone, it felt like if I would never be able to stay up to those guys. Of course I never wanted to go with the beginner group because I did not want to look like a wimp. I wanted to go with the fast guys, the intermediate groups. Those guys had speed! I wanted to just go out there one day and finish with the group before the first rest stop. Train Train Train. After weeks of going out by myself I felt comfortable to try and maintain their 17 mph speed. I loved the feeling of making it all the way! I felt like an animal. Faster than all those beginners. I thought I was ready to ride with the intermediate B's. I was the king of the C's. There is a hierarchy of speeders in the local cycling club and I wanted to get to the top. I wanted to be known as an elite! The picture above shows exactly what I wanted to do every ride that I would make. That motivation had made me a better cyclist. I never want to get dropped. If your getting dropped then that means your not doing enough to prepare yourself. This morning we went on our 40 mile route in which we were supposed to do in a nice endurance pace. Egos take the best of us and all of the sudden we are speeding above 30 mph. Serge, still wanting to prove himself to Mike dropped the hammer.

Mike was so impressed with Segio's speed that he actually muttered a few words of encouragement to him as quietly as possible as to not sound so sensitive and gay. Sergio was pleased and rode with his head held high!

What is your MDS? My goal is to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment