Saturday, November 20, 2010

Off to Mission Trails...


Today is a Saturday.  Today is road bike day.  Today is Wally's bike shop ride day. Today Sergio (Old Navy Douche) did not wake up on time.  Today I was left waiting for a ride. Today I missed out on a morning ride. lol    Oh well a little over dramatic ain't I.  Well anyways, day started off with me wanting to go to the weekly shop ride and we missed out.  Doesn't matter cause we alway can figure something out to get my athletic fix.  I pulled out the iPhone and started texting away. Gathered the group and off we went to Mission Trails.  Mission trails is a man made bike trail system that was made in Mission Texas that has some of the nicest and technical paths you can find south of San Antonio.




 80 degrees, cloudy with a nice breeze!  Does not get any better than that!  It was the first time Sergio and his brother had come out to the trails and they found out a different side of the valley that they had never had the pleasure of riding through.  With short climbs and fast descents, this made for some serious fun.  I decided to take my Schwinn out, which has clipless pedals.  Mistake numero uno!  First of all I am not really that great with clips to begin with and I decided to use them at a place where I knew was gonna be difficult and there was going to be point where I needed to get of the pedals quick so not to fall.


 But again the bug bit me, the ol indestructible risk taker tried to go as fast as he could, taking jumps off every little humps, turning corners like if I was glued to the ground!  I gained some confidence. I felt that it was easy and that if the time came to bail my bike I would easily just get off....


Guess who was wrong....  We went down a section call Psychopath, one of the hardest sections on the trails with dangerous curves traveling right next to the canal. This trail system is covered in short cactus on each side of the path, I guess to add a little more wood to the fire. On one of the ups, I pushed hard thinking I could power it through and WAMMM! my handle bar hit the edge of a tree and I fell on my side because I could not unclip to gain my balance!   Amazingly I fell short of a cactus bed and just got a hand full of splinters.


Off we went again and did I learn...noooo!  I regained some confidence and started hammering away through Poo Forest, which lives up to it's name cause it smells great!  Flew through the Poo and when to another section call EL GATO.  This part is one of the fastest part of the course.  On one crazy decent with trees to the left and right my tire got caught on the branch and immediately I flew straight over my handle bars and landed right on my face and slid down to a immediate stop.  That was one of the worst falls I have had, I have fallen on stop lights from not unclipping but to fly off my bike is a totally different pain.  As I hit the floor all I saw was a white flash and then a whole bunch of white dots flying all over the place... I literally saw stars like Wile E Coyote! Luckily, as bad as that wipe-out was, all I got was a little scrape on my cheek and a small cut on my knee.  Thats when we decided we would call it quits.  You got to know when to fold them.  Survived to ride another day.

Lesson of the day....get a better helmet. lol!


No comments:

Post a Comment